Command Chaining -- Semi-final Proposal (ATC-SIM)

submitted by jlink to /forum/atc-sim

I've read through all of your thoughts -- thank you very much -- and I agree with user jlrwi that we're really talking about two kinds of commands here. One is the combined command, and the other is a SID / STAR / flight plan.

For now, just for the chained commands, based on reviewing a number of real-life clearances, I think altitude and speed should take effect immediately, and that there can be multiple directional commands that will be followed in sequence.

For example:

FlightID C ABCDE FGHIJ 3 S 180

... would mean cleared to ABCDE, descend to 3,000 feet, and reduce speed to 180 knots; then continue to FGHIJ upon reaching ABCDE.

The command parser would also support using multiple "C"s, like so:

FlightID C ABCDE C FGHIJ C 3 S 180

Then STARs, supporting speed and waypoint pairs, will have to be separate.

Unless there are significant objections, that's how I will do it.

all comments

av8nut 1 point

Sounds good. A couple questions:

1. Could you possibly have more than two waypoints in the command? (not that I would imagine many doing that, just going by your example.)

2. Going by your example, would there be any issue if you hadn't reached the assigned altitude (3,000) upon arriving at the first waypoint (ABCDE)? In other words, because of the sequence of priority in the command chain, would it wait until you reached 3,000 feet before turning for FGHIJ?

jlink 0 points

Absolutely, you could enter any number of waypoints; and there would be no issue on the altitude, as it would be as though you simply typed in the commands separately.

av8nut 1 point

Jay, wasn't sure if you saw this question or not below about chain commands. But, I think it's important to some (myself, at least): How would you handle directional instructions in a chain? In other words, right now we can clear a flight to a fix with a left or right turn instruction (L/R) or, if not included in the command, it will go the shortest route. Would it be "FlightID C ABCDE R FGHIJ C 3 S 180", for a right turn to ABCDE, then direct to FGHIJ from there? What about multiple, directional comands? EX. "FlightID C ABCDE R FGHIJ L C 3", which would be, right turn to ABCDE, then left turn to FGHIJ from there.

av8nut 0 points

Great. Can't wait to try it out!

Murillo Coutinho 1 point

My questions are:

• Can we use a heading instead of a waypoint? FlightID C ABCDE 090 3 S 180
  • Can we use the expedite command (X) normally after the assigned altitude? FlightID C ABCDE FGHIJ 3 X S 180
  • If I want the aircraft to descend to 2,000 feet after FGHIJ, I have to wait until it reaches FGHIJ to give the command?

jlink 0 points

Yes, it can be a heading or a navaid.

Yes, expedite would still work.

If you want it to descend AFTER reaching a certain point, then yes, I'm proposing that you have to wait on issuing the altitude clearance.

Murillo Coutinho 0 points

Alright! Can't wait to try it out too! When you have time, please consider that Hold command (HL/HR)... I guess it's going to be very useful, at least for me. ;)

av8nut 1 point

Jay, quick question:

How would you handle directional instructions? In other words, right now we can clear a flight to a fix with a left or right turn instruction or, if not included in the command, it will go the shortest route. Would it be FlightID c ABCDE FGHIJ r c 3 s 180, for a right turn?

pfullerton 0 points

Sounds great. Can't wait to try it out.

indy_goalie 0 points

Is there any chance you can allow for a rwy to be included in the chain? ORD example: FlightID C POSSM MONKZ JORJO RWY28C 2 S 220?

That would be a simple solution that would still give some STAR functionality, and although I've advocated an Intercept Runway command, that would probably get the job done.

Thanks much, looking forward to the enhancements.