Command chaining (ATC-SIM)

submitted by jlink to /forum/atc-sim

So the ability to "chain" a string of commands is nearly there. But, there are a few different ways it could work. I know this has been discussed before, but of you people that currently use the forum, how would you like it to be? A few options are:

Let's say ABCDE and FGHIJ are waypoints.

To fly to ABCDE, reduce speed to 180, and then fly to FGHIJ, would the command be:

FIightID C ABCDE S 180 C ABCDE

But what does this means:

FIightID C ABCDE C FGHIJ S 180

Does speed immediately drop, or only after ABCDE is reached? What if I didn't want speed to decrease until FGHIJ is reached?

all comments

mmanchester68 1 point

I would think FIightID C ABCDE S 180 C ABCDE would be most appropriate to decrease speed between waypoints, and then FIightID C ABCDE C FGHIJ S 180 to decrease speed after the second waypoint is reached.

jlink 0 points

But let's say you wanted to simultaneously fly to ABCDE and reduce speed, similar to typing two commands:

FlightID C ABCDE

FlightID S 180

?

mmanchester68 0 points

Well since speed will decrease/increase regardless of the heading when the command is given, I'd say FlightID S 180 C ABCDE would be appropriate. You would start reducing speed while turning toward ABCDE and then continue slowing until you reach 180 while continuing to the waypoint.

mmanchester68 0 points

However, if you want to reduce to 180 PRIOR to making your turn to ABCDE, you could add a qualifier such as FlightID S 180 < C ABCDE or something similar, where the "<" means complete this request before continuing the chain.

swimmeroc 0 points

I think this would be better if it could be done. If two commands are next to each other then they should be done simultaneously but if a < is introduced, the first will be completed first before the second is done. Also, I would also think that entering a new command after the string would also remove the string immediately?

Murillo Coutinho 1 point

That's a good question! My humble opinion is:

• If you want the aircraft to reduce the speed immediately after the command is given, it would be like: FlightID S 180 C ABCDE C FGHIJ (the plane would reduce speed, fly to ABCDE then FGHIJ)

• If you want the aircraft to reduce speed after reaching ABCDE: FlightID C ABCDE S 180 C FGHIJ (the plane would fly to ABCDE, then reduce speed while turning to FGHIJ)

• If you want the aircraft to reduce speed after FGHIJ: FlightID C ABCDE C FGHIJ S 180 (the plane would fly to ABCDE, then to FGHIJ and after passing FGHIJ reduce to 180 kt)

The idea is if you put the speed before the waypoints, the aircraft reduces speed immediately. And after a specific waypoint, the aircraft will reduce speed after that waypoint.

I don't know how difficult it is, nor if it's possible, but we could extend that.

FlightID S 220 C ABCDE S 200 C FGHIJ S 180 (the plane would reduce speed to 220 kt and fly to ABCDE immediately after the command, then reduce to 200 kt after ABCDE then reduce to 180 kt after FGHIJ)

We could also use its variations:

FlightID C ABCDE S 200 C FGHIJ S 180 FlightID S 220 C ABCDE C FGHIJ S 180 FlightID S 220 C ABCDE S 200 C FGHIJ

Best regards from a fan of ATC-SIM! Thank you for your work! ;)

jlrwi 1 point

My opinion is that the "C" command should be for immediate actions and a separate command (FP for flight plan?) be used to issue a string of waypoints together. This way there's no confusion about whether to do something immediately (C) or upon reaching a waypoint (FP).

FlyEaglesFly 1 point

Will the ability to chain include the ability to clear them for the approach as the last part of the chain, or will that still have to be done separately?

user12345 0 points

@jlink one thing I have done with one of the plugins using tampermonkey with the chained commands is creation of custom STARs essentially. For example, at ORD, I have a command "XYZ123 c v nw", where "nw" stands for the STAR. This can be used for aircraft arriving from North/Northwest/West or even Southwest that you want to take north of the airport to land on 27L or R. The "nw" route follows KURKK VULCN HIMGO, then fly heading 090. This mimics real world transitions from the STARs before vectors. I think that something similar could be implemented with reductions speed possibly built in.

user12345 0 points

But at O'Hare I know that the STARs don't have any speed/altitude restrictions once in the terminal area.

I also have another request for aircraft to be entering through more confined arrival gates at the same altitude (e.g. at O'Hare maybe at 7000 feet or so). Also it would be very cool if you could clear aircraft for an approach (ILS) much further out and at a higher altitude (above 3000 ft) where they can descend on a glidepath but you still command their speed. Then, later in the approach you could give them landing clearance and a speed to maintain until a about a 5 mile final (which I know is already simulated).

I know these are a lot of ideas but I think that all of this would make the game very realistic. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and dedication to this game!

pfullerton 0 points

I agree that FlightID C ABCDE C FGHIJ S 180 would fly to ABCDE, Then fly to FGHIJ and then reduce speed to 180

Same with Alititude: FlightID C ABCDE C 10 C FGHIJ C 6 fly to ABCDE, Then cleard to 10,000, fly to FGHIJ and then clear to 6,000

theredbaron 0 points

Have you made changes to the code already? My tamper monkey script for chained commands seems to be on the fritz.

jlink 0 points

Some, yes.

Jordy141 0 points

Hehe, sorry, just to eager for the chained commands..

Any news on progress?

federbear 0 points

I think a Hold command should be great as well. For example: FlightID H ABCDE.

Murillo Coutinho 0 points

I'll go further and say FlightID HL/HR ABCDE, for hold turning left/right. Take a look at my post "Bug fixed where aircraft would circle waypoints and navaids after passing them"... I gave my sugestion for a Hold command there.

federbear 0 points

Great suggestion. I agree.