ATC-SIM enhancements - feedback please! (ATC-SIM)

submitted by DerekTP to /forum/atc-sim

I am not the author of ATC-SIM but developed, for my own use only, some enhancements to Jay's great work. You can see these for yourself at http://derektp.co.uk/atc (homepage describes changes, click on button at bottom to launch the enhanced game). Jay/Alex - this is the Chicago free-only version. If you like the look of any of the changes I am more than happy to share the code with you (of course it's there in the page in any case!) and to walk through the changes. I will not be advertising this link anywhere other than in this forum as I've no wish to take traffic from your site., and both pages have tags to prevent indexing in Google etc. Regards, Derek TP

all comments

jlink 1 point

Look forward to seeing it!

DerekTP 0 points

Just go to derektp.co.uk/atc then scroll down and click the red button to play :-)

av8nut 0 points

Love it! "RW" is awesome, fantastic and realistic.

Derek, ever thought of doing a Ground-SIM? ;)

DerekTP 0 points

In a word, no! I don't have the aviation knowledge, nor the maths models, to build such a thing. Am happy to "tweak" Jay's great ATC sim in terms of display and usability, but don't plan to tinker with the "mechanics" of the simulation. Now, a railway signalling sim is another thing.... ;-)

av8nut 0 points

The contrasting arrival color is good (tan/beige). Maybe try to make the departure color contrasting as well (light blue). That way the only white on the screen is the label information. Just a thought. I really like the improvements, would love to have it in JFK.

DerekTP 0 points

Thanks for the feedback. Currently the waypoint labels, runways and labels etc are all in light blue, so the only white are the departing flights. Swapping it around (white labels, pale blue departures) would, I think, make for too much white on screen and the planes could get lost in "noise". Also, currently, all the waypoints and runways are implemented by Jay as graphics, rather than text, so changing them would be quite a long job. (Though am pondering switching to text-based labels, which would make adding new airports a quicker process).

theredbaron 0 points

I'd like to see the ability to string multiple commands together.

neilpm 0 points

Whenever I run the simulation on my MacBook in either Chrome or Firefox, the rendering chops off the bottom of the screen. I've tried in full screen and sized window modes? Has anyone else had this problem.

DerekTP 0 points

Update... thanks for the feedback so far. Some additional changes introduced in the last day or so include: PAUSE and RESUME commands in addition to the button.. for those who navigate by keyboard. Change to strip colour of outbound planes; now white background, consistent with radar display colour coding. STATS now shows the number of violations, as well as total duration; and also the number of invalid commands (count those panic-stricken typos) FUEL is now a finite resource; put a plane in a holding pattern for too long and it may run out of fuel. You get a one-minute warning of low fuel in the feedback area; when out of fuel, a MAYDAY message appears in the feedback area. The plane can no longer climb or maintain level flight. It continues to respond to navigational commands and you can land it as normal if you have it positioned appropriately. If it reaches airfield altitude short of the runway it has CRASHED. (This last feature may need some fine tuning with regards to frequency of running out of fuel, warning times, descent rates etc... feedback welcomed. These parameters will all be adjustable via a future "config" pop-up panel.) Enjoy, and do let me know what you think of these changes.

av8nut 0 points

I like the idea of a finite amount of fuel - just makes sense, right? However, I got caught a couple of different times, where once I didn't get to the airfield in time (was following a STAR), and another time, I didn't even know I was low before it was too late (I crashed on final). Would it be possible to change the color of a low fuel plane? Maybe bolder or orange or flashing? Just a thought.

I like that the pause button turns red when activated.

The additional stats is nice. I didn't realize how sloppy I was when entering my commands. :)

DerekTP 0 points

Thanks... yes, definitely some tuning still needed on the low fuel condition. Planes and strips now turn orange when out of fuel, and the descent rate has been decreased to give a longer glide into landing. Still very tricky though! When I put in the pop-up panel for configuration you'll be able to turn low fuel off completely. Invalid commands now also picks up on "unable to comply" commannds - i.e. where syntax is correct but you're asking for something stupid. Thanks again for the feedback!

DerekTP 0 points

Fix now applied so it's possible to land having run out of fuel (if you can glide to the runway of course). Land as normal if you can!

DerekTP 0 points

Thanks... yes, definitely some tuning still needed on the low fuel condition. Planes and strips now turn orange when out of fuel, and the descent rate has been decreased to give a longer glide into landing. Still very tricky though! When I put in the pop-up panel for configuration you'll be able to turn low fuel off completely. Invalid commands now also picks up on "unable to comply" commannds - i.e. where syntax is correct but you're asking for something stupid. Thanks again for the feedback!

seafax 0 points

Is there any way to make it so we can string altitude and heading commands together with a comma or something (to eliminate the need for multiple clearances)?

indy_goalie 0 points

Some feedback from someone who's been playing this game awhile. Great starting points.

Would still love to see a command issued to intercept an extended runway centerline. Something along the lines of '[flightID] I 28C' Not a coder by any imagination, but I would venture to say the starting point would be the current L code, where the plane slows to final approach speed and lines up with the runway. There's a realism factor as well, AC are issued that command all the time. Plus, how awesome does it look when you're landing triples and you've got them queued up like ducks in a row on final?

And yes, chaining commands is essential. The ATC-SIM helper script took Jay's outstanding game and added additional realism to it. Needs to be integrated as well.

Not as much a fan of the red-box as I thought, I prefer the helper-script code where it bolds out, probably closer to a SQUAWK-IDENT command as anything.

That's all I've got for now...it's weird though, when it loads up in Firefox, everything is shifted far to the left.

Cheers!

DerekTP 0 points

Thanks for the feedback. Chaining is certainly something I have on the to-do list but the structure of the existing code doesn't lend itself that well to it, some serious thought needed there, though probably not that much extra code. There's also the question of how to display feedback/confirmation...

Highlighting with redboxes etc will in due course be optional/configurable, but I still find it helpful rather than a distraction, especially when there's dense traffic.

Seems OK in Firefox to me, if you can share a screenshot so I can understand what's happening together with your firefox version I maybe able to address that.

Rgds, DerekTP